Official Number
Official number: 70443
Launched in May 1875, built by Aberdeen White Star Line and managed by George Thomspon & Co.
Wrecked: Malden Island, South Pacific, 20 May 1905

Description: 2 decks, 3 masts, ship rigged, round stern, clencher built, billet head, iron frame.
Subscribing Owners, William Henderson and Cornelius Thompson both Aberdeen, Stephen Thompson, London, all shipowners joint owners of 40 shares. James Buyers, shipowner, 4 shares, William Philip, shipmaster, 8 shares, James Walker, shipping clerk, 4 shares, all Aberdeen. Issac Merchant, shipmaster, 4 shares, Joseph Augustus Knight, shipping clerk, 4 shares, both of London.
(Source: Aberdeen Register of Shipping (Aberdeen City Archives))

1876-78: Master W. Philip; Owner G. Thompson Jnr 7 co.; Voyage Aberdeen-London
1880: Owner W. Henderson; Voyage Aberdeen-Melbourne
1881: Voyage Aberdeen-London
1882-84: Owner G. Thompson & Co.
1902: Master I. Larsen; Owner L. Gundersen; Voyage Norway.
(Source: Lloyd's Register of Shipping)

Built along the same lines as her predecessor THERMOPYLAE, although her spars were reputed to be one foot longer all round. Alhough intended for the same tea routes as THERMOPYLAE she actually made her name as a wool clipper, the tea being carried by steamers by the time she was built.

Between 1875 and 1894 she has only two masters, Captains Phillips, senior and junior, the first mate and third mates were also sons of Captain Phillips at one time. In 1894 Captain R B B McKilliam became master.

Sold to L. Gunderson of Norway in 1898 to run guano cargoes. Wrecked on Malden Island in the South Pacific on 20th May 1905.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 27/03/1878:
Prawle Point, 22 March, ship SALAMIS, Phillip, from London for Sydney and landed pilot.

Bendigo Advertiser, 15/9/1879, Sydney Morning Herald, 20/11/1879:
Arrived Port Philip Bay 13 September from Foo-Chow, sailed Port Philip Heads (Melbourne) 19 November, for London.

S. Australian Register, 6/2/1882:
London, 3 February - arrived from Melbourne 22 October.

Melbourne Argus, 15/5/1888:
Ordinary seaman George Watson, 18 years, on board ship Salamis lying at Williamstown, while engaged in tarring the mizzew mast, fell onto deck from height of about 50ft. Removed to Melbourne Hospital with fractures of thigh, arms and other injuries.

Liverpool Mercury, 24/03/1891:
St. Catherine's Point, SALAMIS, ship, from Melbourne, for London in tow.

Glasgow Herald, 19/01/1892:
St. Catherine's Point, Geelong for London.

S. Australian Register, 20/1/1892:
London, 18 January - there has been a great deal of betting on race between ship Simba which sailed from Sydney 24 October, and Salamis which left Geelowe 30 October (the wool fleet). Simba has reached London first, Salamis is in the downs.

Adelaide Advertiser, 10/1/1894:
Salamis reached London after passage of 77 days, having left Melbourne 19 October. She cleared the heads in company with Loch Katrine and Loch Tay and Avenger had left for London a week before. None of these arrived before Salamis.

Newcastle Morning Herald, 23/8/1895:
Salamis, still under command of Captain McKilliam, has arrived Melbourne, having left London 30 May, after landing pilot at start point, June. She had short stretch of WSW winds but soon ran into NNE, which lasted until 19 June, when she fell in with South East Trades in latitude 7 degrees North. Crossing equator on 23 June, she was soon beset by heavy SE gale, which continued for 5 days. Meridan of Cape of Good Hope was passed 18 July and in running down her easting NW, W, SW winds. Later on Salamis had a second opportunity of displaying her ability to successfully cope with hurricane weather, on 2 August. A storm from West blew with great fury for several days, violent squalls and prodigious seas contributing to general unpleasantness of the situation, decks were almost continually under water, but Salamis acted splendidly throughout and emerged from the ordeal relatively uninjured.

Newcastle Morning Herald, 25/4/1953:
The Salamis Story - Salamis was in her lifetime rated fastest row sailing ship. This beautiful clipper was intended to follow traditional clipper route - outward to Melbourne with general cargo, across Pacific with coal to China and home with first teas of the season. However, soon the first teas were taken by steamers and Salamis had to make her name as a colonial clipper. She enjoyed a long and popular career in the Melbourne wool trade. On May 20 1905, she was wrecked on Malden Island in the South Pacific,

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 01/04/1897:
SALAMIS, ship, at London from Melbourne, Master McKilliam.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 05/07/1897:
SALAMIS, McKilliam, off Beachy Head, London for Newcastle, N.S.W., 7 June.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 25/01/1898:
SALAMIS at London from Newcastle, N.S.W., 20 January.

Glasgow Herald, 29/04/1898:
The well known iron clipper ship SALAMIS, lying in London and owned by Messrs. George Thompson & Co., Aberdeen, has been sold for sum of £3000. She was built Aberdeen 1875.
Aberdeen White Star Line (George Thompson & Co)
length 212' x breadth 36' x depth 21'
gross tonnage 1079 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council