ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
EMPIRE CHEYNE
Construction
STEEL
Type
CARGO
Date
1945
Official Number
165270
Description
Yard Number: 182

Engine no. 258, boiler by Denny, Dumbarton.
Full power trial in Torry Dock, 27 December 1944.
Builder's certificate dated 26 December 1944. Port of intended registry listed as Aberdeen.

Purchased in 1946 by Ouse SS Co. Ltd. and renamed SALTFLEET.

Operated under the management of E P Atkinson & Sons, Goole. Ran aground on 3 October 1951 at Reedness, and rolled over the next day. Salvage commenced in December 1951 but was suspended in October 1952. When salvage recommenced in April 1953 SALTFLEET had broken her back. The wreck was cut in two in March 1954, with the bow section raised on 28 May 1954 and scrapped. The stern section was refloated in September 1954 and moved up-river, it was scrapped in October 1954.
Shipbuilder
John Lewis and Sons
Owner
Ministry Of War Transport
Dimensions
length 202 3/6' x breadth 33' x depth 15 1/12'
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional   © 2006 - 2013 Aberdeen City Council