Yard Number: 474
Date of build/launch: March 1912
Official number: 129377
Shipbuilder: A.Hall and Co.
Owner: Stroud Steam Fishing Co. LTD
Type: Steel scr trawler

Renamed: BEATHWOOD (1920)

Purchased by the Admiralty in July 1914 for conversion to minesweeper.
Sold by the mercantile in 1920, bought by J R McBeath and others and renamed BEATHWOOD.
Requisitioned in December 1939 and designated as an armed patrol vessel. Returned to owners, 1940.

On the night of 11th September 1940, the BEATHWOOD was 1 mile east of Montrose Coastguard lookout, on the east coast of Scotland. As one newspaper report described it, 'she was lying at anchor, completely blacked out, when at about 10 o'clock a German aircraft spotted it by the light of the moon. Most of the crew were below deck.'

George Wood, Skipper of Aberdeen (formerly of Cullen)
William Findlay, Fisherman
William George Findlay, Cook of Cullen, Banffshire
Alexander Gardiner Mair, Mate of Aberdeen (formerly of Cullen)
Alexander Gardiner Mair (Jnr), Deckhand of Aberdeen (formerly of Portsoy)
John Milne, Second Engineer of Aberdeen
Alexander Pirie, Deckhand of Portknockie, Banffshire
James Nichol Ruddiman, Chief Engineer of Cullen, Banffshire

Some reports indicated that there were nine crew and two survivors, so there may still be one further crew member, yet to be identified, who also survived the attack.
The only man known to have survived is the Mate, Alexander Gardiner Mair, who lived to the age of 70.
Over 3 weeks after the attack, the body of Alexander Pirie was discovered at Usan, near Montrose, and buried at Hillhead Cemetery, Portknockie. No others were recovered.

Bombed and sunk 11 September 1940.

Additional details from Mr S Ross and the Pirie Family History website

A. HALL & Co., Aberdeen
Strouds Steam Fishing Company Limited
length 115' 3/12 x breadth 22' 5/12 x depth 13'
Gross Tonnage: 209 ton
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional   © 2006 - 2013 Aberdeen City Council