ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
PRINCESS ROYAL
Construction
STEEL
Type
TRAWLER
Date
1906
Official Number
133307
Description
Yard Number: 485

Date of Build/Launch: March 1913

Type: Steel Screw K. Trawler.

Renamed: DIEZ (1914); PRINCESS ROYAL 2 (1915); INSTITUTO DE PESCA NO. 1 (1920); ALDEBARAN (1938)

In 1914 the ship was sold to Pescadora Argentina, renamed DIEZ. (The ship had electric lighting and refrigerated machinery, a rare thing for a 1906 ship.) The master was A. McKenzie. In Lloyd's 1918-19 the ship is now owned by the Uruguayan government and is not named INSTITUTO DE PESCA NO.1. The skipper is R. L. Elichiribehety (Montvideo), still listed in Lloyd's 1937. In Lloyd's 1941 the ship is now called ALDERBAN from 1938 still Uruguayan managers (Servico Oceanografico y De Pasca). Traced ship in Lloyd's reg. until 1986, still listed as previous owners in Uruguay and original engine.

Owners;
March 1913 owned by The Dodd's S.F. Co. LTD
Sold in 1913 to River Plate Tr. Co. Ltd, Buenos Aires.
Sold in 1914 to F Dumas, BA and renamed DIEZ.
In September 1914 requisitioned and converted to a minesweeper
1919 returned to owners.

June 1916 went to Elephant Island to join the search for Captain Ernest Shackleton's missing expedition.

Owned in 1920 by the Uruguayan Government and renamed INSTITUTO DE PESCA NO. 1.
Owned in 1938 by Uruguayan Government and renamed ALDEBARAN.
Shipbuilder
A. HALL & Co., Aberdeen
Owner
The Dodds S F Co. Ltd, Aberdeen
Dimensions
length 140 1/3' x breadth 23 1/12' x depth 12 5/6'
gross tonnage: 283 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council