ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
LANNER
Construction
STEEL
Type
DRIFTER
Date
1912
Description
Yard Number: 371

Steel 2 masted steam drifter/trawler, elliptical stern (clincher built, ketch).

28/05/1912: Owners J. Utting, Lowestoft (owner/manager)
1915: Requisitioned for Government service as a minesweeper, 1 x 6pdr anti-aircraft gun added.
03/12/1919: Owned by Ploughboy Co. Ltd, Lowestoft.
24/10/1932: In collision with steam drifter NIL DESPARANDUM (LT175) in Lowestoft Outer Harbour.
16/04/1936: Damaged in collision with steam trawler ALCAZAR off Milford Haven.
04/06/1937: Owned by Kittiwake Ltd.; managed by J V Breach.
November 1938: Found motor drifter EFFICIENT disabled and took her in tow. The towline parted and fouled LANNER's propellor who then had to be towed to Lowestoft by MARGARET HIDE (LT746).
20/07/1939: Damaged in collision with steam drifter OCEAN DRIFT off Peterhead.
13/11/1939: Requisitioned by the Admiralty and went to Mediterranean Sea as minesweeper. Attached to the Crete Patrol service she was, together with FELLOWSHIP (LT426) based at Suda Bay, under the command of William Stewart.
January/February 1941: Came under attack from aircraft whilst sweeping Suda Bay, working alone. When Crete was evacuated she sailed alone to Alexandria and arrived there burning wood, her coal bunkers having been exhausted.
On the return to Crete she was bombed and machine-gunned and her skipper was hospitalised. Later refitted at Haifa and patrolled there before moving on to the Suez Canal. After the war she was used as a cargo vessel along the Arabian Coast.
Scrapped 1951.
Owner
J Utting, Lowestoft
Shipbuilder
DUTHIE TORRY
Dimensions
length 89' x breadth 18' x depth 9'
tonnage 103 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council