ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
AFRICANA
Type
STEAMER, FISHERY RESEARCH
Date
1930
Description
Yard Number: 716

Renamed: AFRIKANDER (1950)

The new fishery research vessel 'Africana', built by Hall Russell & Co. for the Union Government of South Africa, sailed for South Africa from Aberdeen, with a British crew under Captain Hardinge. An outstanding feature of the new vessel is a finely-equipped laboratory. The chart room contains a Marconi installation, and other interesting fitments include an echo-sounding machine, a Lucas sounding machine, and a refrigerating chamber. A call will be made at Las Palmas on the maiden voyage.

Requisitioned in September 1939 for the South African Navy and converted to a minesweeper. Returned to owners, April 1947.

Owned in 1950 by B Gelcer & Co. Pty Ltd, Cape Town and renamed AFRIKANDER.

AFRICANA was a steam trawler for the government of South Africa with a stem engine built by the shipbuilder Hall Russell. It was also fitted with electric light & wireless. That was a new addition to fishing boats at this time. AFRICANA was sold to B. Gelcer of Cape Town. No further info after 1965.
Owner
Union Government of South Africa, Cape Town
Shipbuilder
Hall Russell
Dimensions
length 125 1/3' x breadth 25 1/12' x depth 13 3/6'
Gross Tonnage: 313 ton
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional   © 2006 - 2013 Aberdeen City Council