ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
EXPLORER
Construction
STEEL
Type
FISHERIES RESEARCH
Date
1955
Official Number
303098
Description
Yard Number: 747
Engine number 462
Fisheries Research Trawler

Owner 1987 James A. White & Co. Ltd. Leith.

Engine Details: Double acting, triple expansion steam engine. Scotch return tube boiler, 1000ihp (764kw).

Ship complement when a research vessel of 28 consisted of: 8 engineers, 4 deck hands, 7 scientists, 6 officers and 3 stewards.

Ship entered service in 1956 and was decommissioned in 1984.

1990's taken over by a newly formed Preservation Society in Aberdeen. Was refused a permanent berth at Aberdeen Harbour and was towed to Leith where she is still currently berthed.

This vessel is registered on the National Register of Historic Vessels.

See also: http://www.leithhistory.co.uk/ssexplorer/index.htm
Shipbuilder
A. HALL & Co., Aberdeen
Shipowner
Scottish Home Department
Dimensions
length 202' 9" x breadth 32' 9" x depth 14' 2"
Gross Tonnage: 862 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council