Official Number
Rig: SHIP (BARQUE c.1898)
Type: Sailing
Date of Launch: August 1870

Aberdeen Register of Shipping (Aberdeen City Archives):
Registered 06/09/1870; 2 decks with half-poop and topgallant forecastle; 3 masts; demi female figurehead.
Original Owners; William Henderson, Stephen Thompson and Cornelius Thompson (jointly 40 shares); George Thompson Jr (4); James Buyers (4) [all Shipowners]; James Greig, Shipbuilder (6) [all Aberdeen]; Isaac Merchant, London (4); Thomas Henry, Hounslow (4); Thomas Barness Ayling, London (4) [Shipmasters].
16/01/1873: Ayling 4 shares - W. Henderson & C. Thompson, Aberdeen and Stephen Thompson, Leadenhall St. London (jointly).
21/09/1877: On death of Stephen Thompson, 44 shares - Henderson & C. Thompson.
03/01/1879: Henderson & C. Thompson 8 shares - George Thompson, Youngest, Binghill, 32 shares - Henderson & C. Thompson, Aberdeen and S. Thompson & C. Thompson, London (jointly).

Lloyd's Register of Shipping:
1871-72, 1875-76, 1876-77: Owners Thompson Jr & Co.; Master T. Ayling; Destined voyage London-Australia.
1880-81: Master J. Sinclair.
1884-85: Master H. Ayling.
1888-89: Master Breach.
1889-90, 1898-99, 1899-1900: Owner L. G. S. Larsen; Port belonging to Sandefjord, Norway; Master Sorensen.
1910-11, 1914-15: Owners Hualfangerselsk Alpha & Beta (Thor Dahl Manager 1910-11, L. Christen Sen. 1914-15); Port of Registry Sandefjord; Master J. M. Bryde 1910-11, Hansen 1914-15.
1918-19: No reference.

Lubbock, "The Colonial Clippers":
"No ships that ever sailed the seas presented a finer appearance than these little flyers. They were always beautifully kept".
1872 - 82 days U.K. - Sydney; 1878 - 79 days start - Melbourne. 1915 Photo shows her at Bristol rigged as barque with a stump bowsprit.

Bought by Norwegians. In October 1910, it left Sandejford for the South Shetlands where it was converted into a floating oil refinery. Later resold to Norwegians and cut down to barque rig.

Williamston Chronicle, 11/2/1871:
Douglas Keith, seaman, charged with being absent without leave from ship AVIEMORE. Sentenced to 14 days hard labour on board the HULKS

Sydney Empire, 12/9/1873:
AVIMORE, master Ayling, cleared for London. Passenger - Mrs Ayling.

Sydney Morning Herald, 28/4 + 15/5/1874:
AVIMORE, ship, from Plymouth 83 days. Captain Ayling reports that on 28 March in latitude 235, longitude 33W [off Brazil] she struck a quantity of wreckage which took off portion of stem copper & also some of starboard bow copper.

Sydney Morning Herald, 12/2/1875:
Clipper ship AVIMORE arrived 23 January after capital passage of 81 days from pilot to pilot, although delayed on this coast for 10 days owing to thick, heavy weather & strong NE winds. The trades both north & south of the line proved more than usually light...only 500 miles were made in 7 days, compensated for by running down the easting, averaging there 263 miles per day. AVIMORE left Gravesend 31 Oct, discharged pilot at Falmouth 2 Nov., crossed equator 24th day out, passed meridian of Cape of Good Hope 25 Dec. 52 days out & came round SW Cape of Tasmania in 20 and a half days from Cape of Good Hope. Sighted Sydney heads 10 miles distant on 20 Jan, but was driven southward by the current, finally taking pilot on board 23 Jan. Weather on this coast was unusually thick. Land being completely obscured at 5 or 6 miles.

Geelong Advertiser, 26/10/1878:
AVIMORE arrived Geelong [Victoria] 25 Oct. from Hobson's bay under tow.

Western Mail, 18/02/1879:
Signalled off the Lizard, Feb. 17, ship AVIEMORE of Aberdeen for Melbourne.

Clarence and Richmond Examiner [New South Wales], 14/10/1879:
Death announced of Captain Thos B. Ayling, commander of ship AVIEMORE. He arrived Melbourne 22 Aug. in good health, but a fortnight ago was suddenly attacked with acute inflammation in the chest, but recovered. He went outdoors too soon & caught a fresh cold, which brought a relapse, from which he died. Deceased was well known here & at Sydney, having been identified with George Thompson & Co.'s Aberdeen Clipper Ships almost since they first commenced trading to these colonies & was always foremost to assist in any charitable undertaking.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 08/01/1881:
At Thames Police Court James Collie, aged 49 years, Steward on ship AVIEMORE lying in south west India dock, was charged with smuggling tobacco, chloride water and spirits. The AVIEMORE arriving from Melbourne the Customs Officer went aboard to search for contraband goods and asked defendant what stores he had. He produced one pound of hard tobacco, 3 bottles chloride water and a bottle of brandy. On the officer entering the pantry he found concealed 27 pounds of foreign manufactures tobacco, 20 bottles chloride water and 4 bottles wine. Defendant pleaded guilty, but urged in extenuation he was going to give them away to those aboard, had been in the ship 8 years, had never been charged before and was a very poor man. Fined £20 or 2 months imprisonment.

Birmingham Daily Post, 03/11/1883:
The magnificent Aberdeen clipper ship AVIEMORE, classed A1 at Lloyds, will sail from Liverpool about Thursday 15 November for Melbourne intending passengers should apply 70 Houlder Brothers & Co., Liverpool, Glasgow or London.

South Australian Register, 5/7/1884:
London, 2 July - arrived ship AVIEMORE from Melbourne 26 March.

Sydney Evening News, 12/3/1886:
AVIEMORE arrived from Melbourne to load cargo of shale for Rotterdam.
Aberdeen White Star Line (George Thompson & Co)
length 214 3/12' x breadth 36 7/12' x depth 22 3/12'
gross tonnage 1091 tons

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council