ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
EMPIRE RAYMOND
Construction
STEEL
Type
TUG
Date
1946
Official Number
180997
Description
Yard Number: 709

Renamed: CERVIA (1947)

Engine number 414
A/MS 1199

Steel Screw Tug, Foremost standard class. 900ihp 3cylTE 16"x25"x42"x27"stroke oil fired steam engine by builder, eng. no 414.

Acquired 1946. Disposed 1972.
Call sign GDPM.

21/01/1946: Launched as Empire Raymond for Ministry of War Transport.
30/04/1946: Completed and handed over to Townsend Bros. Ferries Ltd. for onward delivery.
05/1946: Sold to William Watkins Ltd., London, for £36,000, renamed CERVIA.
Based at Gravesend on the Thames estuary and worked as far north as the wash, often going to the assistance of vessels stranded on the Goodwin Sands. Worked towing between ports on both sides of the English Channel.

01/02/1950: Ship Towage [London] Ltd. appointed managers.
26/10/1954: Capsized and sank whilst assisting P & O liner Arcadia at Tilbury. Skipper and four crew lost.
28/10/1954: Refloated and towed to Ramsgate for repairs.
20/09/1968: Owners restyled as London Tugs Ltd., (same managers).

1973: Sold to Michael List-Brain, Sittingbourne for preservation at Medway Maritime Museum.

1973: Sold back into towing to International Towing Ltd., Sittingbourne. (M. List-Brain, manager).

1985: Loaned for preservation to East Kent Maritime Museum, Ramsgate.
1989: Transferred to M. List-Brain, and under continued preservation at Ramsgate.

This vessel, as CERVIA, is now a floating museum at Ramsgate, Kent. See National Register of Historic Vessels.
Shipbuilder
A. HALL & Co., Aberdeen
Shipowner
Ministry of Transport
Dimensions
length 105 3/12' x breadth 27 1/12' x depth 12 3/6'
Gross Tonnage: 233 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council