ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
EMPIRE SHIRLEY
Construction
STEEL
Type
STEAM TUG
Date
1945
Official Number
180992
Description
Yard Number: 706
Engine number 415
A/MS 1196

Subsequent Names: TAPUHI; TUI TUATE; TUI TAWATE

1947: Change of owners to Union S.S. Co. of New Zealand, Ld, and change of name to TAPUHI. Fitted for oil fuel. Worked in Wellington Harbour as general harbour tug.

On 10 April 1968, TAPUHI rescued 170 of 733 passengers of the stricken New Zealand inter-island ferry, Wahine, when the ship was hit by a storm and sunk during a routine channel crossing from New Zealand's South Island to its North Island.

1976: Change of name to TUI TUATE and change of owners to Salvage Pacific Ltd, Suva for use in salvage operations on the SS President Coolidge. Carried salavaged oil from SS President Coolidge to the passenger ship Arcadia.

1980: Change of owners to Reece Discombe, Suva, Fiji.

1987: Change of owners to Clement Griffiths, of Wellington, New Zealand. Mr. Griffiths intended to move the TUI TAWATE back to Wellington and renovate it as a floating restaurant to memorialize Wahine Day. However, the tug was not sufficiently sea worthy to withstand the tow and so the TUI TAWATE was left abandoned in Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu.

Now a dive wreck.
Shipbuilder
A. HALL & Co., Aberdeen
Owner
Union Steamship Co. of New Zealand Ltd, Dunedin
Dimensions
length 105 3/12' x breadth 27 1/12' x depth 12 3/6'
Gross Tonnage: 232 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council