ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
EMPIRE JANE
Construction
STEEL
Type
TUG
Date
1944
Official Number
165268
Description
Yard Number: 699
World War II Empire class tug

Renamed: TAIOMA

Brought to New Zealand for use in Wellington Harbour. Owned by Union Steamship Co., sold to British Petroleum (NZ) Ltd. in 1975 and operated at Wellington Harbour until laid up in December 1977. TAIOMA was one of the first tugs on hand when the Lyttleton - Wellington ferry T.E.V Wahine ran aground in 1968.

Donated by Sir Bob Owens to be preserved onshore at Tauranga Historic Village as a memorial to the merchant service's war dead in 1979 until scuttled as an artificial diving reef on 19th March 2000 off Motiti Island, in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand.

Dive New Zealand, Team Taioma by Angie Belcher:
'A lone bugler played the Last Post as the last crew of the Taioma climbed into an inflatable and moved away from the tug. Ever so slowly and gracefully the tug sank lower and lower in the water. It was a rather moving burial at sea. Then with a final gush, a flick of the stern and a last puff of black soot from the funnel, the waters wrapped around the Taioma. She sank upright and proud to the sandy bottom 27 metres below.'

Divers report that it is now possible to swim down the funnel and into the engine room.
Shipbuilder
A. HALL & Co., Aberdeen
Shipowner
Ministry of Transport
Dimensions
length 105 3/12' x breadth 27 1/12' x depth 12 3/6'
Gross Tonnage: 232 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council