ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
MARY DAVIDSON
Construction
WOOD
Type
BARQUE
Date
1868
Official Number
60685
Description
Rig: BARQUE
Type: Sailing
Date of Build/Launch: May 1868
Owner: Knox and Co.

Aberdeen Register of Ships (Aberdeen City Archives):
Registered Aberdeen 05/06/1868. 1 and a break deck; 3 masts; billet figurehead (bearing shaped like a rectangle placed on end).
Original Owner: William Knox, Merchant, Aberdeen (64 shares).
01/07/1868: William Knox 4 shares to Thomas Ross Watson, Merchant, Aberdeen
05/06/1868: William Knox 4 shares to Mary Davidson, Inverurie, A Minor.
30/12/1871: Registry cancelled - vessel lost off Falkland Islands, 23 August 1871.

Lloyd's Register:
1871-2: Owner Knox and Co., Master Mackenzie. Destined voyage Aberdeen-Mediterranean.

Liverpool Mercury, 14/12/1871:
Terrible sufferings of a shipwrecked crew on a desert island - a despatch dated Valparaiso November 4 states that the barque FLORIE, Captain Hicks, had arrived at that port from Parangua, having on board three of the crew of the barque MARY DAVIDSON, whom Capt. Hicks had picked up off one of the Jason Islands, 50.59S, 61.28W on 20th September. The rescued men state they are the only survivors of the crew of the barque MARY DAVIDSON, which was completely wrecked on the island on 24th August. The crew succeeded in reaching the island, but all perished from exposure and want with the exception of the three. The ill-fated ship was built in Aberdeen in 1868 and owned in that port by Messrs. Knox and Co. She left the Mersey on 9th June last year for Guayaquil under command of Captain Mackenzie.
Shipbuilder
HUMPHREY
Dimensions
length 125 3/6' x breadth 24 1/3' x depth 14'
Gross Tonnage: 272 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council