ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
FRISKY
Construction
STEEL
Type
TUG
Date
1918
Official Number
142615
Description
Yard Number: 67

Renamed: GUSTAVO IPLAND; FOUNDATION FRANKLIN (1930-1950)

Steam Tug
Construction: Riveted

Engine number 138, boilers 89 & 90.
T. 3cy 18 1/2", 28 1/2" & 48 1/4 - 28": 138NHP John Lewis

Completed 29 August 1918. Fitted with salvage pumps, towing winch, wireless, steam steering gear, gun, steam windlass and capstan.

First trial 23 August 1918, sea smooth, westerly, average speed 12 knots. Second trial on 28 August 1918. Speed with wind and tide 12.96 knots against, 12 knots.
Builder's certificate dated 2 July 1918.

Class withdrawn 1949

FRISKY was built for the Royal Navy as a 1200HP tug moving redundant capital ships. HMS FRISKY had two funnels and two masts. FRISKY was sold early on in her career to Germany and renamed GUSTAVO IPLAND and was laid up in Hamburg for a considerable time before being purchased in 1930 by Foundation Maritime and renamed FOUNDATION FRANKLIN. Owners in 1930 were J. W. Sutherland.

By 1937 she is described as a salvage vessel and is owned by Foundation Maritime, Ltd and is registered in Halifax, N.S.

In 1942 she salvaged the trooper WAKEFIELD ex US liner MANHATTAN (24,289GRT) ablaze in the North Atlantic which she saved on her own for 5 days. 4 USN diesel tugs were deployed to assist but couldn't cope with the conditions of another mission. She was towing the recalcitrant stern half of LIBERTY ship and found they were heading into the middle of a 100 ship convoy blocking their path to St. John's.
In early 1945 whem embayed overnight she found herself unnoticed sharing an ice lagoon with German U-boat recharging its batteries.
FRISKY had a big refit with the bridge being removed, a deck house installed and the wheelhouse placed on top of the deckhouse, the foremast was shifted further forward and a derrick attached to the mast and bow chock added. A derrick was fited to the aftermast and the coal burning engine was replaced in 1948 with a diesel unit.
FRISKY was scrapped in 1950, location unknown.
(Source: Sea Breezes Magazine, September 2014)

Last mentioned in Lloyd's Register of Shipping 1949-50.
Engine refit not noted in Lloyd's Register.


Quote from "British Steam Tugs" by P. N. Thomas, 1983, p132:
"The Frisky trio were sold abroad, the Frisky herself becoming the 'Foundation Franklin' which has been made immortal in the book "Grey Seas Under" by Farley Mowat, the story of her achievement in deep sea salvage and towage".

Photographs of HMS Frisky exist in the archives of Svitzer Canada.
Shipbuilder
John Lewis & Sons
Owner
Royal Navy (Admiralty)
Dimensions
length 155 3/12' x breadth 31 1/12' x depth 17 1/12'
gross tonnage: 653 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council