ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
FRIAR TUCK
Construction
WOOD
Type
SHIP
Date
1857
Description
Rig: SHIP
Yard Number: 204
Cost: £11,739

Registered Liverpool.

1861: Master S. Darlington. Liverpool-India run.

2 December 1863: Wrecked in hurricane on voyage from Foochow-London. Cargo - tea. St. Mary's Pool, Newford Island, Scilly Isles. 19 crew saved. 304 chests saved undamaged. Figurehead in the Valhalla Collection.
Above information from "Shipwreck Index of British Isles", Richard & Bridge Larn. Vol. 1.

Over 500 sailing vessels were sheltering from strong winds in St Mary's Roads at the end of November 1863. Six of these did not survive the hurricane which followed and amongst them was the Liverpool tea-clipper FRIAR TUCK. On 2 December, she parted her cables and as she went onto Newfound Island, in St Mary's Pool, Captain Fordyce ordered her masts to be cut away. A rocket line from the shore saved her crew of 22. Three small shiploads of tea, sails, spars and some stores were taken to London but the islanders managed to 'acquire' large quantities of tea, despite the efforts of coastguards and preventive men. A lasting monument to the FRIAR TUCK, apart from her figurehead, are the Chinese geese on Tresco which are descendants of those which came ashore from the wreck. The ship had been a good investment for her owners with profits of £12,389 over six years. It was the promise of such returns which induced owners to spend money on fine figureheads and other decoration for their vessels.

Aberdeen Journal, 02/03/1859:
Report of ship, FRIAR TUCK, Richardson master, to London from Whampoa via Macao. Sailed from Macao 10th November 1858 passed through Straits of Sunda 5th December rounded Cape of Good Hope 4th January (strong westerly winds). Crossed equator 25 January, arrived in Downs 22nd February after 7 days in English channel with light south easterly winds and calms. 98 days passage.

Morning Post, 19/07/1860:
FRIAR TUCK, ship, of Liverpool, from London for Hong Kong, 24 days out 9th June, latitude 6 37 N, longitude 25 50 W [off West Africa].

Standard, 05/12/1863:
Information on wreck of FRIAR TUCK, Rocket apparatus, assisted by large numbers of the inhabitants, rescued 17 men, remaining 4 members of crew landed by boat. Upwards of 1,000 chests and boxes of tea landed. Most of these completely saturated with water, but about 400 chests saved. Masters name given by Cornwall gazette as Tierney.
Shipbuilder
A. HALL & Co.
Dimensions
length 193.3' x breadth 31.1' x depth 17.7'
gross tonnage 662 tons

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council