ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
FLOATING DOCK
Type
PONTOON DOCK
Date
1955
Description
Yard Number: 249
Completed 28 April 1955

700 Ton lift
Construction: Welded

The pontoon FLOATING DOCK was built by John Lewis in 1955 for the Aberdeen Harbour Board and situated at the top end of Point Law next to the fish market to replace the older pontoon. The pontoon was one of two pontoons situated in Point Law to enable trawl owners to dry dock their trawlers for painting and cleaning below the water line. Other commerical vessels could use the facilities if they were under 500 tons.

They operated by opening valves at the side and letting water in which was pumped into tanks made in the structure of the pontoon. When a vessel was positioned on the dock the water was pumped out and the vessel and pontoon rose out of the water. The pontoon dock was broken up in the Hall Russell dry dock round about 2000/2002 (Pontoon No. 4 was getting a refit as the quayside at Point Law was being strengthened) as there was no demand for its use due to the drop in the size of the fishing fleet.
Owner
Aberdeen Harbour Board
Shipbuilder
John Lewis and Sons
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional   © 2006 - 2013 Aberdeen City Council