ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
WILMINGTON
Type
VESSEL, BULK CARGO
Date
1969
Description
Yard Number: 942

Construction: Steel, Welded

WILMINGTON was built for Stephenson Clarke Shipping by Hall Russell. The ship was named by Lady Ogilvie, wife of Sir Alec Ogilvie, deputy Chairman of Powell Duffryn (Stephenson Clarke was subsidiary of PD). Ship was named after a Sussex village and designed to carry all types of bulk cargo. To trade on Baltic and Continental seaboard. To carry crew of 24.

WILMINGTON was a 3 hatch hold with no cranes or derricks, with the crew's quarters and bridge at the aft end of the ship.

Hall Russell also built the SHOREHAM (1834GRT) in 1957 and the FERRING & MALLING (2835GRT) in 1969-70 for the same company. The companies ships are easily spotted by a white band that goes around the ship on the bulwark tops and black funnel with a silver band.

WILMINGTON's main cargo was coal from the Tyne, Immingham and Newport to the electricity coal fired stations. WILMINGTON occasionally traded to the Med with grain from Ipswich to Ravenna and short trips to Venice to load maize for Hamburg.

WILMINGTON was scrapped as coal powered electric stations stopped operating: Laid up in the Tyne and then scrapped in Bruges in 1986 (Zeebrugge 17 May 1986).
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Owner
Stephenson Clarke Ltd, London
Dimensions
length 384 5/12' x breadth 54 3/6' x depth 32 7/12'
Gross Tonnage: 5689 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council