ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
CAMBERWELL
Construction
STEEL
Type
COLLIER
Date
1958
Official Number
187818
Description
Yard Number: 864
Date of Launch: 30 April 1958

Owner: South Eastern Gas Board, London
Manager: A.G. Gostelow, D. K. Jacobs (in 1968)

Collier (late to general cargo)

Info from Burntisland & Hal Russell Journal 26 (1) p12-14:
Naming ceremony performed by Mrs Stanton. Sister ship to DULWICH, LAMBETH and EWELL - specially designed for shipment of coal from N.E. ports to upper reaches of the Thames (low tunnels, telescopic masts etc). Note the "extensive use of plastic materials for bulkheads and for lining the accommodation; and an increasingly high standard of accommodation"... "This is as it should be considering the rapid turnaround of ships of this kind and the high proportion of time spent at sea relative to that in port".
Photos:
(1) of engine room
(2) crew cabin
(3) naming ceremony

Change of owner 1972 to Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, London. Renamed CLIMPING 1972

Last mention in Lloyd's Register 1980-81.

Sent to Spain to be broken up in January 1980.


Shipowner
South Eastern Gas Board, London
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Dimensions
length 262'2" x breadth 39'5" x depth 18'7"
Gross Tonnage: 1877 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council