ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS

Related Items

Black and white photograph Showing Building Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Building Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Building Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Building Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing Launch Of The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Black and white photograph Showing The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958  Black and white photograph Showing The Collier 'lambeth' Built At Hall Russell, 1958
Dulwich, Lambeth, Ewell, Camberwell (861 862 863 864) General Arrangement Plan  Dulwich, Lambeth, Ewell, Camberwell (861 862 863 864) General Arrangement Plan

Name
LAMBETH
Construction
STEEL
Type
COLLIER
Date
1958
Official Number
187771
Description
Yard Number: 863
Date of Launch: 23 January 1958
Owner: South Eastern Gas Board, London
Manager: A. G. Gostelow, then D. K. Jacobs after 1968

Thames up-river collier.
(later general cargo ship)

Renamed: TARRING (1970); ARRING (1981); TARRY (1982)

Info from Burntisland & Hall Russell Ship Group Journal 25 (4) March 1958, p104-106:

'The Lambeth was launched from Hall, Russell and Company Limited's shipyard on 23rd January by Mrs C. Stott, wife of the deputy chief engineer to the South Eastern Gas Board.

'The Ewell and the Lambeth are raised quarter-deck, self-trimmers with three cargo holds forward of the motor room. There is a deep tank between Nos 1 and 2 holds. The tank top os sloped to the shell at the sides to form hopper type cargo holds facilitating grab discharge. There is no cargo handling gear but there is one winch to pull three tons to operate the patent type single pull, semi-balanced steel hatch covers. The masts are telescopic for operation under bridges. The vessels have a deadweight of 2,835 tons, a length (b.p.) 261'-6", breadth 39'-4", depth moulded 18'-6" and a draft loaded 17'-1". Water ballast is carried in the double bottom, the fore and after peaks and in the deeop tank, sufficient ballast being carried to allow navigation without cargo beneath the many low bridges on the Thames. An oil fuel cross bunker is situated at the forward end of the propelling machinery space. The ship's company have separate cabins and the accommodation provides a very high standard of comfort. The captain, deck and engineer officers are housed amidships and the crew aft. The main British Polar type engine is of single-acting, 2 cycle, trunk piston type, with 8-cylinders, 340 m.m. diameter and 570m.m. stroke, developing 1,150 b.h.p. at 225 r.p.m., direct coupled and direct reversing. All the auxiliaries are electrically operated, taking current from three diesel generators, each with an output of 40 kw. at 220 volts d.c.'

Sister ship to the Ewell, which was launched from Alexander Hall's yard the previous day; 22nd January 1958.

Change of owners 1970 to Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd; Name changed to TARRING, 1970.

Broken up at Widnes in October 1984.
Shipowner
South Eastern Gas Board, London
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Dimensions
length 262'1" x breadth 39'5" x depth 18'7"
Gross Tonnage: 1877 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council