ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
NONIA
Construction
STEEL
Type
VESSEL, PASSENGER, CARGO
Date
1956
Official Number
198413
Description
Yard Number: 853

Launched April 1956 by Mrs Philip Grichy, of Grand Falls, Newfoundland. Single screw diesel engine. Specially designed to operate as passenger and cargo vessel on the Newfoundland Coast. Strengthened for navigating on ice.
Accommodation for 50 1st class and 40 2nd class passengers and had 33 officers and crew.
Change of owner 1987-88 Trans Maritime Chiriqui S. A., registered Panama.

A sister ship of the BONAVISTA, the NONIA was built for Canadian National Railways in 1956 at the Hall Russell yard in Aberdeen, Scotland. The diesel-powered ship was similar in design to earlier coastal steamers and could accommodate 90 passengers as well as freight. Commanded on its maiden voyage by Captain Joseph Prim, it replaced the Codroy on the run between Lewisporte and Baie Verte. In the summer months the NONIA delivered mail along the Labrador coast. In August 1961 the ship was called upon to assist the community of Musgrave Harbour when it was threatened by forest fire. It transported 760 people from the area to safety on Fogo Island. After 20 years in the coastal service, the ship was taken over by the federal Department of Fisheries. As a patrol boat it helped to enforce fisheries regulations within Canada's 200-mile limit. In 1980 the NONIA passed into private ownership.
Owner
Canadian Government, Minister of Transport, St John's
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Dimensions
length 214' 9" x breadth 35' 1" x depth 17' 3"
Gross Tonnage: 1174 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council