ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
DAME CAROLINE HASLETT
Construction
STEEL
Type
COLLIER
Date
1950
Official Number
183189
Description
Yard Number: 819

Owner: British Electricity Authority, London (Manager: Stephenson Clarke Ltd)

Vessel was named by Dame Caroline Haslett (1895-1957). Caroline Haslett was born at Worth, Sussex in 1895. During the First World War, she joined the Cochran Boiler Company where she acquired a basic engineering training and from that time became something of a pioneer for women in the electrical and professional world.

From 1946-1954 Dame Caroline was the only woman member of the Council of the British Institute of Management and in 1953-1954 Chairman of the British Electrical Development Association, the first time a woman had been appointed to that office. She was also the only woman member of the British Electricity Authority 1947-1956 - a popular appointment in view of the importance of domestic electrical development. In recognition of her services she was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1931 and in 1947 was promoted to Dame Commander.

1955: Owners now called Central Generating Authority later changed to Central Electricity Generating Board.

1975-81: Described as for general cargo.

1980-83: Described as a cable-layer repair ship and in 1982-83 described as being "for English Channel Service South of a line Harwich to Hook of Holland".

See photo 'Burntisland Shipbuilding Group Journal', September 1959, 26 (3) p77:
"The Dame Caroline Haslett on the Thames being fitted with cable paying-out gear for cable trials in connection with the cross channel electricity link between England and France".

Scrapped 1984, Middlesborough
Shipowner
British Electricity Authority, London
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Dimensions
length 258' x breadth 35' 5" x depth 18' 7"
gross tonnage: 1777 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council