ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
CARLO
Construction
STEEL
Type
CARGO
Date
1947
Official Number
181314
Description
Yard Number: 797

Subsequent Names: PELASGOS

Propeller: 13’- 3” diameter 4-bladed solid bronze by Manganese Bronze & Brass Co.
Steam triple expansion reheat engine 19½” x 32” x 54” with 36” stroke with a Bauer-Wach exhaust turbine coupled to shaft through D.R. gearing and hydraulic coupling. One of eight mini cargo liners built for Ellerman's Wilson Line, of Hull, following the Second World War.

'Open' shelter deck vessel.
18.04.1946 Keel laid on Berth No. 3.
23.01.1947 Launched.
31.07.1947 Incline test with steam up.

Vessel named by Mrs Howard Johnson
(Source: Burntisland and Hall Russel Shipyard Journals)

Ran aground during trials at Aberdeen, repaired.
08.12.1947 Handed over.

Burntisland Shipbuilder's Journal, vol 21, page 14, 1948:
'specially designed for Scandinavian services of the owners.' Three cargo holds, with capacity of 130,000 cubic tons. Accommodation for 12 passengers.

1964-65 sold to Chr. M. Sarlis & Co. Registered Patras, Greece.
Renamed PELASGOS in 1966.

In the July 2014 edition of Ship Monthly, it was reported that CARLO (as PELASGOS) had been scrapped in Greece in 1972.
Shipowner
Ellerman's Wilson Line Ltd, Hull
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Dimensions
length 284' 3" x breadth 42' 2" x depth 15' 5"
Gross Tonnage: 1799 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council