ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
TRANSPORT FERRY TF 30
Type
TRANSPORT FERRY
Date
1945
Description
Yard Number: 786

Subsequent Names: CLUPEA (1945-1961)

T.F. 30 was built at the end of WWII for the Admiralty as a twin screw transport ferry.
Twin T cy8 (2) 18½ (2) 31" & (4) 38½-30 engines built by Hall Russell.
Machinery aft. 1 deck.

T.F. 30 was launched in 1945 but was never completed as she was surplus to requirements as WWII had ended.

The framing in T.F. 30 was longitudinal running for to aft instead from deck down to keel.

The name was changed to CLUPEA for A/S Clupea S. Bartz in 1945 for T Johannsen, Bergen, Norway.

In 1950 was converted to a herring oil factory ship.

The herring-oil factory ship Clupea stayed at Smørhamn many winters to boil herring. The factory ship had a daily capacity of between 4500 and 5000 hectolitres of raw material and a storage capacity of 20 000 hectolitres.

Bought by French fisherman André Guelfi (born in Morocco) in the beginning of 1961 after she was converted (in Norway) to a Refrigerated Fish Factory Ship and also to produce fish meal. Registered to Port Etienne in Mauritania.

Caught fire and sank 3 April 1961 in Port Etienne Roads.

Owner
Royal Navy
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Dimensions
length 330 5/6' x breadth 54 1/6' x depth 18 7/12'
gross tonnage 1899 tons

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council