ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
TARANSAY
Type
MOTOR YACHT
Date
1930
Official Number
148980
Description
Yard Number: 705
Completed June 1930. Cost £14,680
Owner: John Alexander Ross, 28 Forest Road, Aberdeen per G.L. Watson & Co.

Engine details: Twin hot bulb Gardner engines, 4 cylinder 9½” bore x 10¾” stroke. 2 x 96 b.h.p. at 370 r.p.m. Direct reversing. By 1949-50 LR Gleniffer Engines Ltd., Glasgow 12-cylinder, 6” x 7”

Order Book: - Launched 02.04.1930 at 3 p.m. Trial Trip 19.05.1930. Left 16.06.1930

1939 Requisitioned by Admiralty. 1941 Bought outright by Admiralty. War service as a danlayer, examination vessel and then minesweeper depot ship. 1946 decommissioned and put up for sale.
1947 Sold Retained the name TARANSAY.
1949-50 LR Ownersa Wimasia Shipping Co. Ltd., Glasgow, ex yacht, reclassed 10.1947 Passenger sailings in the Clyde estuary with the WIMAISIA probably serving Campbeltown for the Mac Shipping Co. or the Wimaisia Shipping Co., both of Glasgow. (“The Campbeltown Steamers”, Kelly, 2004). Both companies were purchased by Metcalf Motor Coasters in 1952.

Scrapped after 1952, Port Glasgow
Owner
Edinburgh owner
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Dimensions
length 102 3/12' x breadth 20 1/12' x depth 11 1/3'
Gross Tonnage: 166 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council