ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
THOMAS BURNHAM
Construction
STEEL
Type
STEAM TRAWLER
Date
1918
Official Number
143889
Description
Yard Number: 642
Date of Build/Launch: September 1918

Strath Class

Renamed: FLORIBELLE (1921); COPIEUX (1933); NELLIE MELLING (1949); GIRDLENESS (1954)

1918: Built for Admiralty.
1921: Owned by Consolidated F Ltd, Grimsby.
1921: Sold to Mercantile. Acquired by A. G. Brown of Granton. Renamed FLORIBELLE, Port Reg. GN80.
1929: Owned by A G Brown, Granton GN80.
1933: Owned by J(G?) Cormack, Aberdeen, Reg. Aberdeen and renamed COPIEUX.
1934: Owned by A W Gardner, North Shields.
1939: COPIEUX Owned by G. Cormack, Registered Aberdeen.
1942: Owners P & J Johnstone, Aberdeen.
1943: Owned by Milford Steam Trawling Co. Ltd, Milford.
1944: Owned by Milford Steam Trawling Co.
1948: Owned by J Craig, Aberdeen.
1949: Owner River Ness Fishing Co.
1949: Owned by Mellings Ltd, Fleetwood and renamed NELLIE MELLING.

1954: Owned by A Hay, Aberdeen and renamed GIRDLENESS.

1955: Class withdrawn. Name GIRDLENESS, Owner A. Hay & J Mair, Aberdeen.

Fishing number A17.

4th July 1957 ran aground. Hansard October 1957: The trawler "Girdleness" left Aberdeen at noon on 3rd July, 1957, for the fishing grounds north of latitude 61°N. The ship stranded in fog near Cantick Head, Hoy Island, Orkneys, at about 4 a.m. on 4th July; she refloated under her own power on 7th July with the crew still on board.

1957: Broken up in the U.K.
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Owner
Admiralty
Dimensions
length 115 3/12' x breadth 22 1/12' x depth 13'
Gross Tonnage: 203 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council