ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
WATCHFUL
Construction
STEEL
Type
COASTGUARD TENDER
Date
1911
Description
Yard Number: 486
Launched: 26 April 1911

Sold to Newfoundland Government 15 May 1920, port of registry St Johns.

WATCHFUL was a steam coastguard tender built by Hall Russell's who also built the engine for the admiralty. Capt. was W. C. Lindup. It also had electric lighting provided, a rarity on some ship in this period. The ship was sold in 1931 to North Atlantic Trawling Corp. (Wilmington, Del. USA), now classed as a trawler. Until 1936 it was sold to J. Harrisons & Sons Co. Ltd., Owen Sound, Ont. British. Now classed as a tug in Lloyds 1949. The ship was sold in 1951 to Diamond S.S. Co. Ltd. (G. Hindman, manager) Owen Sound, Ont. British (tug), until 1953 it was sold to Hindman Transportation Co. Ltd. (Howard Hindman, manager), Owen Sound. In 1952 it was fitted with a general motors oil engine 45A 16cy 9 1/2"x12". The engine was made in 1942, fitted 1952. The Co. renamed the ship in 1965 to SUSAN HINDMAN, until 1969 it was sold to Port Colborne Marine Enterprise (Port Colborne), Canada. In 1973 it was renamed HERBERT A. In 1973 the same owners renamed it TARA HILL but reg. back to Owen Sound. In 1979 the ship was sold to Carrick Corp. Ltd. (Country Unknown). Still named TARA HILL. In Lloyd's '82 it is reg. in Panama. No further info after 1995.

Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Shipowner
Admiralty
Dimensions
length 145' 8" x breadth 25' 1" x depth 16'
Gross Tonnage: 398 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council