ABERDEEN BUILT SHIPS


Name
INYATI
Type
STEAMER, PASSENGER, CARGO
Date
1896
Description
Yard Number: 301
Registered: 27 October 1896

Renamed: M BENLLIURE (1912)

In October 1911 vessel was sold to Charente SS Co Ltd (T & J Harrison, managers) Liverpool.
In 1912, it was sold to Cia. Valenciana de Vap. Correos de Africa, Valencia and renamed M BENLLIURE.
On 25 December 1915 it sailed from Glasgow to Genoa. Distress signals were heard on 27 December when 40 miles NW of Scilly Islands but not heard of again, believed to have foundered in gale.

The Standard, 28/9/1896:
South & East Africa - Port Natal direct, Dalgoa Bay, Inhambane, Beira & Chindi, calling at Tenerife. The favourite steamers of the Aberdeen Direct Line leave London docks every fortnight, splendid accommodation for saloon passengers at moderate fares. S.S. INYATI (new steamer), Capt. Stuart RNR, 10 November.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 30/10/1886:
Fine new steamer INYATI, launched recently from yard of Messrs Hall Russell, Footdee, to order of Messrs J. T. Rennie & Son, has been completed and will leave for London tomorrow. At 2250 gross register, she is largest of splendid fleet owned by Messrs Rennie & will be engaged in London-Natal trade. She is lighted and heated by electricity and trial of the lights last night was very satisfactory, reflecting credit on Messrs Claude Hamilton & Co., entrusted with installation. Is first time Aberdeen built steamer heated by electricity. Capt. Stuart RNR and Mr Andrew Main, surveyor, have represented Messrs Rennie during construction. Engines are triple expansion of 2500ihp. Commander, Capt. Stuart, has been in service of Messrs Rennie for 14 years and previously commanded S.S. INCHANGA.

Lloyd's Register, 1898:
Master J.G.H. Flint

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper, 17/6/1900:
Relief crews will embark at Plymouth 5 July on steamer INYATI for Durban to join ships HERALD and MOSQUITO.
Owner
J T Rennie
Shipbuilder
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
Dimensions
length 310 9/12' x breadth 40 1/12' x depth 25 11/12'
Gross Tonnage: 2516 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council