Official Number
Yard Number: 273
Launched August 1892

Port of Registry: Aberdeen
1892 Master: T. Tait
Route: Direct Aberdeen to Lerwick Service, summer and winter throughout her career.
Lengthened by 23ft to cope with growing traffic, increasing tonnage to 465tons.

28th September 1902 - Ran ashore near Rattray Head Lighthouse in fog on passage south, subsequently broke her back.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 5-9/1892:
When north boat ST. MAGNUS was off Sunburgh Head an arm of a paddle broke, smashing paddle box and disabling the vessel. Signals of distress were made. About 2 hours later ST. GILES came alongside and managed to throw a rope aboard. After much trouble she got under way a towed ST. MAGNUS to Lerwick. Much praise due to Capt. Tait of ST. GILES.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 21/11/1893:
Steamer ST. GILES, Lerwick-Leith, unable to get into Aberdeen on account of tremendous sea running at the bar, shipped a heavy sea of Aberdeen which carried away one of the boats.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 31/1/1896:
Steamer ST. GILES went round from Lerwick to Scalloway and shipped about 20 tons of fresh fish consigned to southern markets.

Glasgow Herald, 16/3/1897:
ST. GILES stranded near Scapa Pier, but got off on following tide and proceeded to Stromness. Master believes no damage done.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 8/6/1898:
Steamer ST. GILES brought north over 100 women to be employed at Baltasound and other northern fishing stations.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 17/11/1899:
Steamer ST. GILES (Capt. Ensor) left Lerwick to search for disabled steamer CORQUET, reported 100 miles off Unst with propeller gone. ST. GILES steamed as far as 250 miles north of Flugga Light and scoured sea in every direction in stormy weather, but to no avail.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 20/2/1900:
Great anxiety felt for 2 days as to fate of mail steamer ST. GILES on passage Aberdeen-Lerwick. All hope of her having weathered storm almost abandoned when welcome news that she had reached Scalloway. During the 2 days at sea she had passed through fearful experiences. Shrouds of fore and main rigging were carried away. 2 boats were smashed and lost. Upper bridge was shattered. Being unable to keep vessel's head to wind, Capt. Tait decided to run her before the wind till Friday afternoon, when land near Hillswick was seen. Passage was most tempestuous ever experienced by any of crew.
Hall, Russell & Company, Limited
North of Scotland & Orkney & Shetland Steam Navigation Company
length 160' x breadth 25' x depth 12'
Gross Tonnage: 407 ton

  © 2006 - 2018 Aberdeen City Council