|QUEEN OF SCOTLAND|
|Launched April 1827
2 decks, 3 masts, schooner rigged, standing bowsprit, square stern, carvel built, quarter galleries, a woman figurehead, propelled by steam
Lloyd's Certification A1
Subscribing Owners in 1827:
Alexander Bannerman, Merchant; John Duffus, George Elsmie Jnr, Iron Founders; all Aberdeen.
James Forbes, Echt; George Forbes, Springhill; Alexander Gibbon; John Lumsden; all Aberdeen Merchants, and carrying on trade under the firm of John Duffus & Co., Manufacturers of anchors and chain cables in Aberdeen.
Master Alexander Love in 1827
(Source: Aberdeen Register of Shipping (Aberdeen City Archives))
1828: Master J. Walker, route Aberdeen to London.
1836: Owned by George Elsmie Junior, William Reid and George Thompson Junior, merchants, as the Aberdeen & London Steam Navigation Company.
1839: Master J. Cargill, route: Aberdeen to Hull.
1841: Master Anderson.
January 1843: Sold to Joseph Gee & Co. Hull. Lengthened in August 1843.
1845: Master W. Cape.
April 1860: Sold to Thomas Hodson & others, Manchester.
October 1863: Sold to C M Lofthouse & R Glover, Hull.
1869: Broken up.
1836: New topsides and large repairs using red pine and teak.
1839: Some more repairs. Now certified E1.
1843: Lengthened and through repairs now 390 tons and A1 Lloyd's steam engine and machinery certified in 1839, 1840, 1843, 1856.
(Source: Lloyd's Register of Shipping)
Aberdeen Journal, 18th April 1827:
'On Thursday last we had the gratification of being present at the launch of the first steam vessel which has been built at this port. If we may judge by the admiration which this magnificent ship had excited, among naval and scientific persons, as well as those acquainted with steam navigation, we may safely pronounce her the finest of her class not only for a frame of timber which cannot be surpassed, but which has been put together in a manner that would do credit to any King's dockyards. Her length is that of a 36-gun frigate, she has a spar deck and poop, with two splendid cabins, separate from the sleeping compartments, which are ranged along the side of the ship, and all entering from the main deck. These berths have removing stanchions, which, if necessary would enable her to carry 15 guns on a side. She will be propelled by two engines of 75 horse-power each, and is calculated to carry, beside her machinery, fuel etc, three hundred tons.
Not withstanding the unfavourable state of the weather from the incessant rain, a vast concourse of spectators had assembled at an early hour, and seemed delighted with the beautiful airs played by the Band of the Aberdeen Militia. At a quarter past one o'clock, the Queen of Scotland majestically glided into her future element, amidst the cheers of the multitude, the band playing "God Save the King".
This superb vessel has been built by Messrs J. Duffus & Co and her engines constructed at their extensive establishment here; and if the Queen of Scotland is to be considered a fair specimen of their work, it will bear a comparison with that of any of her class in the kingdom. The launch was conducted by Mr Ronald, the master builder, in a style which did him much credit; and we were much pleased to observe the accommodation afforded by the proprietors of the neighbouring dock-yards, whose servants appeared to vie with each other in rendering every assistance in their power on this novel occasion. We sincerely wish Messrs Duffus & Co every success in the prosecution of this now most important branch of nautical science.'
Advertised maiden voyage: Aberdeen 22nd August 1827 to London and returning to Aberdeen 5th September. Carrying goods and passengers. Managed by John Lumsden & Co of Castle Street Aberdeen and John Duffus & Co. Footdee. Master advertised as Alex. Lovie, RN, commander. However, due to technical difficulities, her maiden voyage was postponed until December 1827. Left Aberdeen afternoon of Saturday 22nd December arrived London Tuesday, 25th December 1827.
|Aberdeen & London Steam Navigation Co.|
|length 149' 3/6' x breadth 26' 7"
Registered Tonnage: 304 ton